whip it real good

aka lemon ricotta pancakes from smitten kitchen
one of my favorite breakfast dishes is lemon ricotta pancakes. having never made them before I was pumped when I saw a recipe on smitten kitchen. (a fav foodie blog)

truth: I had never whipped up egg whites for any recipe so I was kinda excited for this task :)
I decided to add some blueberries to my pancakes because well I happened to have some.
growing up my dad was the pancake master. the weekends were all about breakfasts and he knew how to do it right. most of the tricks he taught me are in SKs list for pancakes 101. as you can see one trick is adding the blueberries on the skillet verse in the bowl.
delish
you try:

For the pancakes
4 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups ricotta
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Melted butter for brushing the griddle

Maple syrup, as an accompaniment


Make the pancakes:
In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks, the ricotta, the sugar, and the zest, add the flour, and stir the mixture until it is just combined. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about one fourth of them into the ricotta mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Heat a griddle over moderately high heat until it is hot enough to make drops of water scatter over its surface and brush it with some of the melted butter. Working in batches, pour the batter onto the griddle by 1/4-cup measures and cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, brushing the griddle with some of the melted butter as necessary. Transfer the pancakes as they are cooked to a heatproof platter and keep them warm in a preheated 200°F oven.

Serve the pancakes with maple syrup.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting